Welcome to the Hampshire Councilís for Voluntary Service website
We are organisations offering a range of services to voluntary and community groups and organisations based in Hampshire, to enable them to carry out their work, achieve their aims and become more effective.
This website gives information about our services and how you can access them.
Across Hampshire there are 11 district level Councils for Voluntary Service (CVS) and the Hampshire-wide CVS Community Action Hampshire (CAH). CAH is also a Rural Community Council, supporting and enabling initiatives in rural communities.
We are all charities and members of the National Association for Voluntary and Community Action.
The five primary functions of a CVS are:
- Services and support to local voluntary and community organisations (VCOs), for example providing funding information, support with applications and training.
- Liaison between VCOs and other agencies/ partnerships
- Representation, for example, representing the views of the VCOs on strategic issues
- Development work, for example, strengthening VCOs
- Strategic partnerships, for example, contributing to the development of sustainable community strategies
Estimates show that there are approximately 8,400 voluntary and community groups active across Hampshire. These groups make a significant impact in supporting quality of life and contribute to many social, economic and environmental issues. The CVS Network provides a range of support services to these groups and we continue to be pro-active in meeting their needs.
The 11 district CVS also operate Volunteer Centres and other local services that meet local needs.
We work in close partnership with Southampton Voluntary Services, Community First for Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight Rural Community Council. Details on their services can also be accessed through this website.