MiDAS (Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme) is a national scheme to enhance the driving and passenger awareness skills of minibus drivers. MiDAS is not a legal requirement but is increasingly being accepted as best working practice. Most organisations operating minibuses like their drivers to have a MiDAS certificate.
MiDAS offers two types of certificate:
- Standard (for driving only)
- Accessible (in addition to driving, this includes safely securing wheelchairs)
To be MiDAS trained, you will need to take either a Standard Induction or Accessible Induction course.
The training consists of one classroom session, followed by a separate driving assessment.
Standard Induction courses
- Day One – half day theory session
- Day Two – 2 to 3 hours practical
Accessible Induction courses
- Day One – one day theory
- Day Two – half day practical